Thursday, September 21, 2006

How 'diabetic' am I?


The American Diabetes Association has a book called Diabetes A to Z, in which they define a diabetic. "A person with diabetes has a fasting blood glucose of 126 mg/dl or above." - p.106.

If this is so, how come I am diabetic when my fasting glucose is consistently (without variation) between 70 and 85 mg/dl and I am not on any medication nor supplements? Something is wrong with this definition because my label doesn't fit.

Now I'm wondering how diabetic am I, and it's not that I mind. If you have diabetes you know how it feels to be sidelined by all those symptoms. It sure feels great to not have to worry about frequent trips to the toilet while you're on a plane. It's really nice. I wouldn't trade my anti-diabetes diet for any culinary glamor in the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home