Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Do you know what 105 means?

Do you know what 105 means to a diabetic? Well, maybe if you are a type 1 or a type 2...

Or maybe if you are a care giver to to someone who has diabetes, then you may really know what it means.

But I am not questioning whether or not you know that it is actually saying your blood glucose concentration is 105 mg/dl.

This is what it means to me:

It means that the medical professionals and drug makers and their researchers are not always correct. Why?

My doctor told me about 5 months ago that I would have to take medication, and prescribed Fortamet for me. When I asked why can't I be allowed to try diet and exercise for a little while longer, I was told, "You will always be diabetic, and you've just got to go with the program." But that's not what the health message said.

I defied my doctor, I trashed the Fortamet, I scrapped the 6 or 7 snacks per day and substituted with three meals of high fiber, high carbohydrate, low fat diet, ALONG WITH regular exercise, and a few herbs.

Now I can't take the herbs any more - they lower my glucose too much! I just eat a huge breakfast, a medium lunch, and a small supper, and that's it.

I couldn't believe my glucose meter, so I started testing with two different ones now. They corroborate. You could call me diabetic; I don't care. But if you are not diabetic, your blood glucose level better be 105 mg/dl two hours after you eat a breakfast like mine:

1 cup of cooked brown rice, string beans, large serving vegetable salad, 2 slices whole wheat bread, 3 vege tender rounds, small serving of tofu, a handful of pumpkin seeds, and two tablespoons of ground flax seed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home